If you recently applied a security patch to Outlook Express it automatically turns off your ability to open email attachments. Those attachments are usually grayed out when you try to open them. To open the attachments, follow these simple steps:
1. Start Outlook Express
2. Click on Tools from the menubar at the top
3. Click on options from the drop down list
4. Click on the security tab from your options window
5. Uncheck “Do not allow attachments to be saved...”
6. Click “OK” at the bottom of the window
Thats it! Just close and restart Outlook Express and you will be able to open the attachments.